I thrive on seeing organisations realise their potential through well planned and sustainable growth and engaged stakeholders. I have over 15 years governance experience including nine years as an elected Tasman District Councillor and four years as a director of Nelson Airport Ltd, a council-controlled organisation.
I bring a strong focus on ‘whole-of-life’ management of assets – planning, design, construction and acquisition, operations, maintenance, renewal and rehabilitation, depreciation and cost of finance and replacement or disposal (where possible, taking into account financial, environmental and social costs). And a critical part of the planning process is ensuring that the problem has been properly defined before selecting the solution. To do this, we need to ensure that we are listening, engaging, talking, reading and researching, as widely as possible. Listening to local groups, engaging with the community, talking to experts, reading submissions and evidence, and researching innovations and best practice.
My professional work includes consulting, communications, research, governance advice, fundraising and community engagement.
· Tasman District Council, Councillor and Chairperson (2007 – 2016)
· Network Tasman Trust, Trustee (2018 – current)
· Habitat for Humanity, Director (2017 – 2019)
· Nelson Airport Ltd, Director (2013 – 2017)
· Cawthron Institute and Cawthron Foundation, Board Secretary (2004 – 2016)
· Nelson Bays Primary Health Trust, Deputy Chair (2010 – 2014)
· Upper South B Regional Ethics Committee (Ministerial Appointment) (2010 – 2012)
· Fundraising Institute of New Zealand, National Board (2006 – 2007)
· Chair of the Community Development Committee for 6 years which incorporates grant funding, community services and facilities, communications, community partnerships and strategic planning.
· Member of the Tasman Regional Transport Committee and Corporate Services, Engineering and Environment and Planning standing committees.
· Chair of the Joint Waste Working Party, made up of members of Tasman District and Nelson City Councils and iwi and of the Accessibility for All Forum, a community-based and led advocacy forum.
· Chair and member of funding bodies: Creative Communities, Grants from Rates, Sport NZ Rural Travel Fund and Nelson/Tasman Regional Funding Forum.
· Council representative on a number of community groups including Safe at the Top, Positive Ageing Forum, Saxton Velodrome and Nelson Tasman Cycle Trust and on a number of other Council sub-committees including CEO Review Subcommittees and Saxton Field Working Group.